Proud sponsors of ISA Europe's District Website
Details of awards received by the Signpost are here.
All contents copyright © 2000-12 Readout Publications
The Read-Out Instrumentation Signpost
Measurement, Control and Automation Resources throughout the World
Last changes to this page: 1/6/2012
Professional Bodies of interest to Instrument People
The list is devided into two alphabetical zones. At the top are groups concerned mostly with automation, instrumentation and control and the bottom list is for organisations of a more general interest.
- The Applied Control Technology Consortium (ACTC) helps companies pursue a policy of understanding and appropriately applying control technologies.
- The American Automatic Control Council (AACC) is an association of the control systems divisions of eight member societies in the USA.
- The American Institute of Physics includes access to their publications.
- ASM International for management of materials.
- The Automatic Meter Reading Association - Advancing Utility Technology Internationally.
- The Automation Federation - an umbrella organization under which associations and societies engaged in manufacturing and process automation activities can work more effectively to fulfill their missions.
- The Automated Testing Institute (ATI) has a comprehensive online resource for obtaining, exchanging and certifying industry standard test automation knowledge, information, and techniques.
- BACnet® International is an organization that encourages the successful use of BACnet® in building automation and control systems through interoperability testing educational programs, and promotional activities.
- China Instrument and Control Society (CIS), based in Beijing.
- Control System Integrators Association (CSIA) is committed to the business development of control system integration companies and their implementation of best practices in order to provide a healthy, low-risk channel for the application of technology to our industrial clients.
- The Eclipse Foundation fosters Eclipse an open platform for tool integration built by an open community of tool providers. Operating under a open source paradigm, with a common public license that provides royalty free source code and world wide redistribution rights, the eclipse platform provides tool developers with ultimate flexibility and control over their software technology.
- In 1990, a number of prominent members of the Systems and Control community from countries of the European Union decided to set up an organization, named The European Union Control Association (EUCA), the main purposes of which is to promote initiatives aiming at enhancing scientific exchanges, disseminating information, coordinating research networks and technology transfer in the field of Systems and Control within the Union.
- GAMBICA - Association for Instrumentation, Control, Automation - Group of Association of Manufacturers of British, Instruments, Control and Automation.
- The Industrial Automation Open Networking Alliance (IAONA) is for industrial automation leaders committed to the advancement of open networking from sensing devices to the boardroom via internet and Ethernet-based networks.
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers the world's largest technical professional society. A non-profit organization, which promotes the development and application of electrotechnology and allied sciences for the benefit of humanity, the advancement of the profession, and the well-being of its members.
They have a constituent Instrumentation and Measurement Society
The Institute of Instrumentation and Control Australia is the Professional Body serving those involved in the field of Instrumentation and Control in Australia.asm
- Institute of Measurement and Control of New Zealand Inc The national body dedicated to the promotion of the theory and practice of automatic control and instrumentation in science and industry.
- International Federation of Automatic Control was founded in September 1957, is a multinational federation of National Member Organizations (NMOs), each one representing the engineering and scientific societies concerned with automatic control in its own country.
- International Frequency Sensor Association (IFSA) - The main aim of IFSA is to provide a forum for academicians, researchers and engineers from industry to present and discuss the latest research results, experiences and future trends in the area of design and application of different sensors with digital, frequency (period), time interval or duty-cycle output. Very fast advances in IC technologies brought new challenges in the physical design of integrated sensors and microsensors. This development is essential for developing measurement science and technology in the next Millennium.
- The International Instrument Users' Association has been set up "for cooperative instrument evaluations by member-users and manufacturers."
- IMEKO -
International Measurement Confederation Forum for the Advancements in Measurement Science and Technology . See also IMEKO IIS (Internet Information Service).
- ISA - The The International Society
of Automation page, in constant development, is now an excellent
resource. ISA was formed some 50 years ago and boasts around 30,000
Readout sponsors the Web Page for the ISA's District 12 (EMEA District) and
has designed the Ireland
- Find useful information about the Japanese electric measuring instruments market on the Jemima Site (Japan Electric Measuring Instrument Manufacturers' Association.)
- Measurement, Control and Automation Association (MCAA) A US trade association founded in the mid-1940's, MCAA's members -- manufacturers, manufacturers' representatives, distributors, systems integrators, members of the trade press and industry consultants -- are the leading companies supplying hardware and software products and services associated with the measurement, control and automation of industrial processes.
- MIMOSA - a not-for-profit trade association dedicated to developing and encouraging the adoption of open information standards in manufacturing, fleet, and facility environments Ð information standards which enable collaborative asset lifecycle management.
- The Institute of Physics (IOP) gives some information on publications and has some interesting links.
- PXI Systems Alliance (PXISA)
A group of more than 70 companies that share a common commitment to end-user success with open, multivendor CompactPCI systems for applications in test and measurement, industrial automation and data acquisition. The primary goal of the PXISA is to improve the effectiveness of CompactPCI-based solutions in measurement and automation through use of the PXI specification.
- The Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, abbreviated as SICE, was established in 1961 in Japan. It has been a leading academic society in the field of measurement- and control-related science and technology, which is a transdisciplinary field. Therefore, it is not restricted to traditional disciplines such as electrical, mechanical, or
engineering. SICE covers the following areas: measurement, control, cognition, behavior, communication, information, and system sciences and technologies.
- The SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, formed in 1955 as "The Society for Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers", serves over 11,000 professionals in the field throughout the world as does The Optical Society of America. The former is perhaps more applications and engineering oriented, the latter more in the field of research - although both areas overlap these days.
Another site of interest to Optical Engineers is the >Laser Institute of America - the laser information and applications society
- Valve Manufacturers Association of America.
- VDI/VDE-GMA Society for Measurement and Automatic Control in Germany.
- WBF the former World Batch Forum offers a non-commercial venue for the dissemination of information Batch Engineers need.
- Wireless Industrial Networking Alliance (WINA) - a coalition of industrial end-user companies, technology suppliers, industry organizations, software developers, system integrators, and others interested in the advancement of wireless solutions for industry.
- The Worshipful Company of Scientific Instrument Makers promotes the craft of scientific instrument making and the exchange of ideas and information by members and guests through meetings, visits, lectures and social events. It is a Livery company of the City of London.
- AFE - The Association for Facilities Engineering (AFE) is a professional organization of 9,000 members, bringing together professionals who ensure the optimal operation of plants, grounds and offices at Fortune 500 manufacturers, universities, medical centers, government agencies and innovative small firms from around the world. And, they all look to AFE as the leading technical resource on engineering issues. Their St Louis Chapter has a very good website too.
- The AMA - American Management Association is the world's leading membership-based management development organization. AMA offers a full range of business education and management development programs for individuals and organizations in Europe, the Americas and Asia. MCE - Management Centre Europe is the European headquarters
- The Air-Conditioning, Heating, and
Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) a trade association representing more than 350 manufacturers of air conditioning, heating and commercial refrigeration equipment.
- ASHRAE, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers.
- American Water Works Association (AWWA) is an international nonprofit scientific and educational society dedicated to the improvement of drinking water quality and supply.
- Association of International Product Marketing & Management (AIPMM) is the world's largest professional organization of product managers, brand managers, product marketing managers and other individuals responsible for guiding their organizations and clients through a constantly changing business landscape.
- The British Fluid Power Association (BFPI) - to promote the techincal, trade and commercial interests of British Manufacturers and Suppliers of Hydraulic and Pneumatic equipment.
- The Computer Society is the leading provider of technical information and services to the world's computing professionals.
- The Embedded Software Association (ESOFTA) provides its members with assorted marketing and communications services, a framework for member-initiated standards activities and a forum for software creator and user communications.
- The European Association of Pharma Biotechnology (EAPB) The representative and central network to promote and develop Pharma Biotechnology in Europe, linking academia, industries and regulatory bodies.
- Fab Owners Association (FOA) is a not-for-profit international association
for semiconductor manufacturers. They are headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley (USA). FOA provides a forum for semiconductor manufacturing executives to discuss common manufacturing issues. The association was founded in 2004.
- The mission of The Fabless Semiconductor Association (FSA) is to stimulate technology and foundry capacity by communicating the future needs of the fabless semiconductor segment in terms of quantity and technology; to provide interactive forums for the mutual benefit of all FSA members; and to be a strong, united voice on vital issues affecting the future growth of fabless semiconductor companies.
- The Federation of the Electronics Industry is a useful body and a source for information on standards such as the European Directives on EMC (The CE Mark).
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) - The assocition of professionals auditing controls in the computer systems that are critical to the operations of organizations. In 1969, the group formalized, incorporating as the EDP Auditors Association. In 1976 the association formed an education foundation to undertake large-scale research efforts to expand the knowledge and value of the IT
FreePatentsOnline offers chemical search! Through entry of chemicals via SMILES, the patent database can be searched using normalized chemical formulas to ensure much more comprehensive searching than possible using regular keywords.
- The Institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), an international body that provides services for and represents the interests of those involved in chemical, biochemical and process engineering world-wide.
- The Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) lists all its services and bookswith brief reviews, conference proceedings etc.
- IPC Association Connecting Electronics Industries. This is is a United States-based trade association dedicated to furthering the competitive excellence and financial success of its members worldwide, who are participants in the electronic interconnect industry.
- ISPE, the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering, is a world-wide, not-for-profit volunteer Society of technical professionals who apply their practical knowledge in the regulated healthcare manufacturing industries.
- The Low Power Radio Association (LPRA) an association for companies involved in deregulated radio anywhere in the world. It is believed to be the only such association for users and manufacturers of low power radio devices in the deregulated frequency bands.
- Manufacturing Executive A membership organisation whose mission is to enable its members to define and shape a better future for the manufacturing industry worldwide.
- The Manufacturing Execution Systems Association - MESA - to serve the manufacturing operations and management community and to provide thought leadership on the application of Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) in order to contribute toward the improvement of production companies' competitive capabilities.
- The Materials Research Society
- National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA), provides a forum for the standardization of electrical equipment, enabling consumers to select from a range of safe, effective, and compatible electrical products.
- OMG Group Object Management Group.
- Process Industry Practices (PIP) is a consortium of process industry owners and engineering construction contractors who serve the industry.
- Process engineers will be interested in the site of The Royal Society of Chemistry.
- The Society of Manufacturing Engineers has developed the Global Manufacturing Network to help users find information on manufacturers, suppliers etc.
- SAE International The Engineering Society For Advancing Mobility in Land Sea Air and Space.
- Standardisation Group for Embedded Technologies (SGET) The purpose of the Association is the promotion of science and research. The purpose is realized in particular when SGET, in a team effort in various workgroups on embedded computer technologies, prepares and compiles technical specifications or other work results such as implementation guidelines, software interfaces or system requirements, which serve the purpose of energy efficiency, environmental protection and effective technology, science and the public, publishes such information and promotes its application for the benefit of the general public.
- SWIG is the Sensors for Water Interest Group, a not-for profit information, ideas-exchange, and networking group with a diverse UK-wide membership drawn from the water and process industries, sensor manufacturers and their distributers, academic institutions involved in sensor research, regulatory bodies and consultants working in the field of water management.
- TAPPI is the technical association for the pulp and paper industry.
- Technical Services Industry Association (TSIA)
- The UK Industrial Vision Association The primary objective of the UKIVA is to promote the use of the vision technology by manufacturing industry in the UK.
The List of Societies on the TechExpo Site is the most comprehensive I have seen.